Thursday, May 19, 2011

Desert Gift ~ a book review



I recently finished the book, Desert Gift, by Sally John.  This book is a part of John's series, Side Roads.  The main character of this book, Jillian Galloway, is a popular marriage expert, who is on the brink of even greater acclaim.  She has a large radio following and a newly published book.  Marriage expert though she may be, her own marriage appears to have fallen apart, as the book begins with her husband asking her for a divorce.  The story follows Jillian and her husband as they seek to find new footing in this phase of their lives.

I wanted to like this book, but I did not.  While some of the characters were well developed and showed authentic depth, the character of Jillian's husband, Jack, was a critically weak link to the whole story.  I could neither relate to his responses to the situation that he caused, nor find his character even believable.  He came off as shallow and nearly, if this could be possible as a main character, as an afterthought.  He simply made little sense in this story, yet by virtue of his position in the story, could not be overlooked.  For me the character of Jack ruined the story.

I received a complementary copy of this book for review from mediacenter.tyndale.com  The opinions are my own.

No comments: